What is Learner Support Services?
Learner Support Services (LSS) is an individualised support service that helps students that are facing personal or learning challenges to manage these while studying so that they can successfully complete their training and transition to sustainable employment.
For students with complex personal and learning support needs that are beyond the capacity of the training provider to support on their own, training providers can refer their students, including apprentices and trainees, to an LSS provider.
Learner Support Services are fully funded by the Department and are fee-free to all students and are at no cost to the NTOs.
Students who are facing significant barriers to completing their training, who are falling behind or at risk for withdrawing from training are the focus of LSS services.
See section 4.2.3 (page 10) of the UAN Guidelines.
Students who are facing significant barriers to completing their training, who are falling behind or at risk for withdrawing from training are the focus of LSS services. To be eligible:
- Students must be enrolled in a qualification listed on the STL at any AQF level (including apprentices and trainees), and
- have complex support needs that require individualised support beyond the normal supports an NTO is expected to provide, and
- their support needs are impacting on their ability to sustain their participation or complete their qualification.
Supports can be provided through LSS for any issue that may impact on a students’ ability to stay in training and successfully compete their course. For example:
- Family issues
- Domestic violence
- Housing and homelessness
- Interactions with the justice system
- Financial stress
- Mental health and other disability issues
- Study skills development
- In -class support needs
- Transitioning into an adult learning environment from school or after not studying for a long time
- Transitioning into work after study (post course support is available for up to 3 months)
For more information about LSS, two fact sheets that provide information about the services are available for download.
For students to access Learner Support Services, the enrolling NTO must have a Learner Support Services agreement in place with one or more of the six contracted LSS providers. The details for these LSS providers is given on the first LSS Fact Sheet above.
See Section 10 of the UAN Guidelines.
Watch these videos for more information.
Introduction to Learner Support Services
How LSS supports students and RTOs - case studies
Assessing your Student Supports
Personal and Learning Support for School Students
From 1 July 2021, school students that are undertaking the VETRO process for enrolment in subsidised training from Semester 1 2022, will be eligible for learner support services to support them through their VET studies to completion or transition to further study or later employment.
You can download an Information Pack for NTOs offering training to school students, which covers how LSS fits with student supports offered at school, and the key considerations for working with school students.
Fact sheets on personal and learning supports tailored for parents, school, students and RTOs can also be found in the Toolkit and in the box below.
LSS for School Students
- Personal and Learning Supports for School Students Info Pack
- Planning for Personal and Learning Supports Webinar
- Personal and Learning Supports Fact Sheet for Students
- Personal and Learning Supports Fact Sheet for RTOs
- Personal and Learning Supports Fact Sheet for Parents and Schools
- Consent Fact Sheet for Students and Parents
- Process Map for Referral to LSS