Student eligibility for subsidised training

Your student may be eligible for government subsidised training based on their employment and training level.

Your student may be eligible for subsidised training if they live or work in South Australia, and are:

- an Australian or New Zealand citizen

- a permanent Australian resident

- the holder of a state sponsored visa on a pathway to permanent residency (see Eligible visa types)

and are:

- 16 years or over and not enrolled at school.

School-enrolled students are subject to separate eligibility criteria – see Training School Students

Eligible students may be able to access:

- foundation skills courses and bridging units (if assessed to need them through the Upfront Assessment of Need)

- up to five bridging units at every qualification level (if assessed to need them)

- subsidised courses. For any Training Accounts created from 15 October 2020, the Standard Entitlement Criteria does not apply to courses on the Subsidised Training List, ie:

- Students can access qualifications or short courses regardless of their prior qualification and training they have already completed.

- Students can undertake more than one course or short course

School-enrolled students are entitled to access one Certificate II and one Certificate III course while at school. From 15 October 2020, any course commenced by a school-enrolled student will not count towards their entitlement to subsidised training post school. Courses commenced prior to this period will count towards entitlement post school.

In addition to all permanent residency visa holders, the following visas are eligible for subsidised training:

- Skilled – Work Regional (subclass 491)

- Skilled – Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 489)

- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (subclass 494)

- Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa, subclass 188

- Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (SHEV), subclass 790

- Bridging Visa A, subclass 010*

- Bridging Visa E (BE), subclass 050 and 051*

- Temporary Protection Visa (TPV), subclass 785*

- Bridging Visa F (BVF), subclass 060*

- Partner Visa (Temporary), subclass 820 and 309

- Temporary Humanitarian Stay visa (subclass 449)

- Temporary Humanitarian Concern (THC) visa (subclass 786)

*Individuals on Bridging visas are only eligible where they are waiting on the outcome of an application for a permanent visa or one of the temporary visas listed above.


Visa holders on the following repealed provisional visas are also eligible for subsidised training:

- Skilled – Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 489)

- Skilled – Regional Sponsored Visa (subclass 475)

- Skilled – Regional Sponsored Visa (subclass 487)

- Skilled Independent – Regional (Provisional) Visa (subclass 495)

- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Permanent) Visa (subclass 187)

- Senior Executive (Provisional) Visa (subclass 161)

- Investor (Provisional) Visa (subclass 162)

- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Provisional) Visa, subclass 163

- State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (Provisional) Visa, subclass 164

- State/Territory Sponsored Investor (Provisional) Visa, subclass 165

To check a visa type, visit the Department of Home Affairs.

To check any work or study entitlement conditions attached to a visa, visit the Australian Government’s Visa Entitlement Verification Online service.

Some subsidised training has course conditions and is only available to certain students, such as TGSS/VET for School Students or Training Contracts. 

The Subsidised Training List provides information on courses and conditions. You can also calculate subsidies and customise and export data.

To discover subsidised training opportunities, see Subsidised Training List.

An upfront assessment of need is required for all eligible prospective students seeking a subsidised training place. This is to ensure students get the support they need to successfully complete their training.

For more information, see Upfront Assessment of Need.

South Australians aged 16 years or older who are or have been under a Guardianship order of a Government Minister in Australia, are eligible to access fee-free courses on the Subsidised Training List with contracted Training Providers. The usual subsidised training eligibility rules apply.

To apply for a fee exemption, complete the form.