Risk based approach
All contracted training providers delivering accredited training are monitored by analysing data, including training subsidy claims and payments, as well as information from the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).
The data is used to create a profile of each RTO against a set of key indicators that have been modelled to identify risk.
The risk indicators include but are not limited to:
- extent of compliance with national standards for RTOs, as identified by ASQA
- complaints from stakeholders
- implementation of the department’s Upfront Assessment of Need and Bridging Units policies and procedures
- use of AVETMISS result codes
- management of Training Accounts
- management of students under the age of 18 and other vulnerable cohorts.
Based on the risk profile, an RTO may be thoroughly monitored. This may involve a site visit and interview.
RTOs must correct non-compliances.
ASQA is the national VET regulator and is responsible for ensuring RTOs are compliant with the national Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015. The department complements, not duplicates, the work of ASQA by ensuring that Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) are compliant with the terms and conditions of their contract.
We are committed to continuous improvement and welcome your feedback on quality and compliance monitoring. See our online form provide feedback.