GTOs help businesses take on apprentices and trainees
GTOs employ apprentices and trainees and place them with host businesses who provide work and on-job training.
GTOs take care of employer responsibilities such as recruitment, managing apprentice wages, superannuation and leave. The GTO supports apprentices and host employers throughout the apprenticeship.
How to become a GTO
You need to be registered as an employer of apprentices and trainees in South Australia, have a permanent physical presence here, and show you comply with the National Standards for Group Training Organisations.
- Read the National Standards for GTOs Registration Guide South Australia (Word)
- Submit a GTO Application
- We will organise a meeting with you to explain registration requirements, funding opportunities and next steps
- Submit the National Standards for GTOs Compliance Report Audit Template (Word)
- Participate in our compliance audit. We review your self-assessment against the National Standards for GTOs through a desktop audit, site visit, and interviews with apprentices, trainees and host employers.
Apply to become a GTO
To apply for Group Training Registration in South Australia, see Apply to become a GTO
Funding for GTOs
GTOs that have achieved recognition under the National Standards may attract SA Government funding through programs such as:
- South Australian Group Training Program (SAGTP), a program that supports the provision of pastoral care arrangements for apprentices and trainees employed by eligible GTOs in areas of State priority, and for targeted groups; and
- Group Training Organisation Support (Payroll Tax Assistance) Program (GTO Support), a program that provides eligible GTOs with funds commensurate with the Payroll Tax liability incurred by the GTO for apprentices and trainees.
The current SAGTP Guidelines are available here: SAGTP Guidelines 2021-2022
For further information about funding opportunities, GTOs are encouraged to contact DIS.GroupTraining@sa.gov.au.
Help and advice to become a GTO
For further information or help to start your application, call the Infoline on 1800 673 097 or email DIS.GroupTraining@sa.gov.au to make an appointment.